Council encourages the establishment of outdoor trading areas throughout the Newcastle region.
Visit Outdoor Trading for more information and to make an application.
Pets at outdoor trading areas
Dogs are now permitted in kerbside outdoor trading areas. Your dog can join you if they:
- Are on a lead
- Stay on the ground
- Are not fed
- Have the restaurant owner’s permission.
Download the flyer on dogs at outdoor trading (pdf)
Smoking in outdoor trading areas
Smoking in or adjacent to an outdoor trading area is prohibited. As of 6 July 2015, commercial outdoor dining areas are smoke-free. Council does not have any control over these laws and cannot police and or enforce fines. All breaches should be directed to Health NSW who have an online reporting form and for enquiries contact 1800 357 412.
The Smoke-free Environment Act 2000 also bans smoking in the following outdoor public places:
- Within 10 metres of children’s play equipment in outdoor public places
- Public swimming pools
- Spectator areas at sports grounds or other recreational areas used for organised sporting events
- Public transport stops and platforms , including ferry wharves and taxi ranks
- Within four metres of a pedestrian access point to a public building.
Public buildings include:
- Shopping centres, malls and plazas
- Schools, colleges and universities
- Childcare facilities
- Community centres, halls and places of worship
- Theatres, cinemas, libraries and galleries
- Accommodation hotels and motels
- Professional, trade, commercial and other business premises
- Fitness centres, bowling alleys and other sporting and recreational facilities
- Local, NSW and Federal Government premises from 6 July 2015
- Licensed premises including clubs and hotels
- Restaurants and cafés.
Find out more from NSW Health and view the No smoking near public buildings fact sheet.