Newcastle beaches & pools and extreme temperatures
Newcastle beaches/pools and extreme temperatures
It is normal practice for City Of Newcastle lifeguards remain on patrol if the conditions warrant it. Every day just after 5pm they check the surf conditions, the number of swimmers, the air temperature and the number of preventative actions undertaken to determine whether they need to stay on patrol past the scheduled closing time of 5.30pm. Patrols can remain up to 7.30pm if required.
Beresfield Swimming Centre is able to extend closing time from 5pm to 7pm if there is the demand from patrons at the pool at the time and Lane 4 Aquatics have already extended the hours for this weekend including Lambton from 7pm to 8pm; Wallsend and Mayfield from 6pm to 7pm and Stockton will close at 6pm.
Tips to beat the heat
- Drink plenty of water and avoid alcoholic, hot or sugary drinks
- Keep cool – do less and avoid being outside during the hottest part of the day
- Check on elderly friends, neighbours and relatives, especially if they live alone
- Have a plan for how to stay cool when it heats up
- If you are out in the sun don't forget to slip, slop, slap
- Find out more