Open and Transparent Governance Strategy
In accordance with the Local Government Act 1993
(NSW), Council adopts a Community Strategic Plan (CSP
) which represents the highest level of strategic planning undertaken by Council. The CSP involves an extensive community engagement process to identify long term objectives of the community and the strategies to achieve those objectives and meet levels of service the community expects.
As the CSP is a shared community vision developed to inform policies and actions over the next ten years, Council is committed to the following seven strategic directions:
The purpose of the Open and Transparent Governance Strategy (Strategy
) is to document the action Council takes or will take to achieve Council's Open and Collaborative Leadership strategic through a governance framework which:
- Guides Councillors and staff on the principles to ensure the community has trust and confidence in the decisions made by Council
- Ensures all processes and decisions are made openly and transparently.
Ensuring Council has a sound governance framework in place underpins Open and Collaborative Leadership and is essential to provide the community with confidence that:
- Council is legally compliant and acts on an ethical basis
- Council's decision making processes are open and transparent and made in the best interests of all stakeholders
- Council is and is seen to be a good corporate citizen.
In summary, the Strategy outlines how it sets to achieve the following objectives:
- Integrated, sustainable long term planning for Newcastle and the Region
- Considered decision making based on collaborative, transparent and accountable leadership
- Active citizen engagement on local planning and decision making processes and a shared responsibility for achieving goals
- A local government organisation of excellence.
Download the Strategy