Your 2018/19 rates will be calculated using the same land value as used for your 2017/18 rates. These land values are as Base Date 1 July 2016 and take into account the prevailing market conditions as at that date.
Council also resolved to:
- Adopt the business category with sub-categories for the rating of large-scale industrial and commercial properties to be determined by the ad valorem method with a minimum rate of $968.00
- Adopt the farmland category to be determined by the ad valorem method with a minimum rate of $968.00
- Adopt the special business rates as outlined in the Our Budget Report (pdf)
- Adopt the residential Stormwater Management Service Charge of $25 per non-strata property and $12.50 per strata unit
- Adopt the business Stormwater Management Service Charge of $25 per 350m2 of land area capped at $1,000. Business strata units be calculated in the same manner with the charge for each unit being determined by the unit entitlement
- Adopt the Domestic Waste Management Service Charge of $340.09
- Adopt the Business Waste Management Service Charge of $231.58.
The special rates structure for 2017/18 will continue to be levied in 2018/19. These are:
Hunter Mall – defraying the cost of continuing additional horticultural and cleansing services and street furnishings.
Mayfield Business District – defraying the additional cost of promotion, beautification and development of the Mayfield Business District.
Hamilton Business District - defraying the additional cost of promotion, beautification and development of the Hamilton Business District.
Wallsend Business District - defraying the additional cost of promotion, beautification and development of the Wallsend Business District.
New Lambton Business District - defraying the additional cost of promotion, beautification and development of the New Lambton Business District.
Citycentre Benefit - defraying the additional cost of promotion, beautification and development of the Citycentre Benefit Area.
Rate assistance provisions
Currently the following rate assistance options exist where ratepayers are experiencing financial difficulties:
- Relief from hardship caused by the use of new land valuations
- Deferral of rates and charges against the estate. This scheme applies to all ratepayers provided that they satisfy the eligibility criteria
- Write-off of accrued interest
- Negotiation of special arrangements to pay rates and charges
- Financial assistance through four local welfare agencies used by Council to provide $65 vouchers as part payment of ratepayer’s accounts (subject to the welfare agency's eligibility criteria).
- Ratepayers experiencing financial difficulties should contact Council's Debt Management Team on 02 4974 2128 for further information.
Financial assistance is also available to businesses located within the City Centre Special Benefit Area who are suffering financial hardship due to the light rail construction. For further details please contact the Rates Team 02 4974 2310.