Development Types

Most developments are either:

 Exempt Development

 Complying Development

 Local Development– this requires an application to Council.

Exempt or complying development is required to meet the prerequisite legislation. You or an accredited certifier must determine if your proposal meets either of these requirements.

The State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) – Exempt and Complying Development Code 2008 was gazetted on 12 December 2008, and commenced operation on 27 February 2009. Council’s LEP also maintains some exempt and complying development standards.

If you believe your development meets the exempt category, there is no need to advise Council. It is advisable you document how you have reached this decision for future reference. If unsure about whether your development is classified as exempt development clarification should be sought from Council staff or an appropriate professional person. Penalties may apply to development which is mistakenly carried out as exempt development. Read further information on  Exempt Development.

If you believe your development meets the requirements for complying development, lodge a complying development certificate application with council or an accredited certifier. Further information on  Complying Development.

If your proposal is not exempt development or complying development you may need to lodge a Development Application.

For further information please Telephone the duty officer on 02 4974 2036.