Building and Construction

There are lots of things for you to consider before you start any building or development work on your property.

Home Renovations

Thinking about knocking down that old wall? There are a number of things you should consider before you start any renovations work.

Construction Certificates

Once you have development consent for building work, you will need to obtain a Construction Certificate.

PCA and Building Inspections

When undertaking Building and/or subdivision works you will require a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) to inspect the work during the course of construction to ensure it meets with regulatory requirements.

Occupation Certificates

An occupation certificate certifies that the building or nominated part of the building is suitable and safe to be occupied, in accordance with the relevant requirements of the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

S10.7 Planning Certificates

When buying a property it is important to find out about planning controls or hazards that may affect the land you are seeking to purchase.

Home Warranty Insurance

A builder must take out job-specific insurance under Home Warranty Insurance before starting any home building work.

Flood Certificates

It is not possible to conclude if a particular property may flood in the future by only considering past flooding.

Environmental Signs

Council has compulsory environmental awareness sign for all building sites.

Bushfire Prone Land

A bush fire prone area is an area of land that can support a bush fire or is likely to be subject to bush fire attack.


A dividing fence is a fence that separates the lands of adjoining owners.

Fire Safety

Fire safety is important for all property owners, property managers, tenants, and business operators who own, occupy or manage buildings throughout the municipality ranging from various types of residential properties to commercial, retail and...

Swimming Pool Requirements

To help reduce backyard pool drownings and keep you informed Council is inviting all swimming pool owners of the Newcastle Local Government Area (LGA) to join the NSW Swimming Pool Register.

Owner Builders

Owner-builder permits are issued by the Department of Fair Trading.