From 10am to 2pm, we're staging a free family-friendly event in the Foreshore Park amphitheatre that will celebrate our city’s diversity. It’ll feature Brazilian dance, African drums and performances by a young local band called Twisted Tongues.
- Culture – we will be engaging and celebrating in our local culture through music, dance, food and markets
- Music – a culturally divine mix of local and cultural music will be on offer
- Skate Park – bring your board and your scooter and take part in our skate park!
- Parkour – largely focussing on being active we will also have parkour workshops
- Inflatable Land – FREE all-inclusive inflatable land
- Food – Delicious eats on offer to satisfy everyone’s craving.
Australia Day is where celebrating culture meets music, entertainment and community.
Experience and Entertainment
Nine piece - Powerhouse Fusion - Hot Afrobeats, Skankin' Reggae, Bass-Slapping Old School Funk, Cool Jazz and Raw Percussion Intoxicating, dance-inducing and utterly infectious grooves, Bakoomba consists of a driving rhythm section, slick horns, sassy female vocals and percussion all lead by the colourful and dynamic Mr Fode Mane from Senegal.
Brazilian Samba Newcastle
Brazilian Samba Newcastle are bringing their pulsating rhythms of a berimbau, atabaque, and pandeiro along with the encompassing Sambista girls in full feathers and head dress.
Playground Parks Skatepark
This year we will be incorporating a skate park, organised by the locals at Playground Parks. We are stepping away from the standard mechanical rides and have decided to take the active, outdoors, energetic approach in which Newcastle thrives. Come along and show off your skills or learn some new ones!
Keeping in line with being outdoors, active and unique we will be operating a Parkour workshop throughout the event. Run by trained professional’s patrons will have the opportunity to experience taster of the sport in a safe and fun environment. Their mission is to provide Parkour training and develop the local community. Newcastle Parkour has been providing training services since 2006 in collaboration with the Australian Parkour Association and Parkour NSW. Many of our instructors have volunteered to develop, promote and train parkour in Newcastle.
Amusements and life sized games
There will be a classic inflatable land, this area is tailored to our younger demographic with Free of Charge inflatables to keep entertained. Keeping in line with being all inclusive all inflatables are special needs and adult rated so parents/carers are able to go through with their children so everyone can have fun. They will also be incorporating sno cones and fairy to create an exciting carnival atmosphere and vibe. In conjunction to the Inflatable Land we will also be including an oversized games area including classics like Connect Four.
Music and Performance Schedule
10.00am - Welcome to Country
10.10am – Unique Dance Colours of India
10.40am – Brazilian Samba Newcastle
11.00am - Cannons release at Fort Scratchley
11.05am – Unique Dance Colours of India
11.35am – School of Rock
12.10pm - Brazilian Samba Newcastle
12.35pm - School of Rock
1.00pm - Cannons release at Fort Scrathley
1.10pm – Bakoomba
2.00pm - close
Delicious eats from around the world:
- Hawker Hero – Asian Street Food, Chicken Skewers, Pork Rolls
- Zabiba – An array of Traditional Ethiopian including Sambusa, Curry and Coffee
- Furata – A delicious taste of African and Congolese Food.
- A Little Bit of Spain – Traditional Spanish, think Paella, Empanadas and Churros…drooool
- Arabic Shawerma – Chicken Shawerma oozing in Middle Eastern flavours with garlic and pickles.
- Alberri Pastries – Delicious Middle Eastern sweets and pastries
- Retro Classic Treats – Soft Serve delights, unique and indulgent desserts, waffle cones and Retro Soda floats
- Newy Brew – We won’t let you go caffeinated, head over to the local legends at New Brew to get your fix
- Harrington Amusements – All-rounders Harrington Amusements will be bringing their fun carnival vibes with their Sno Cones and Fairy Floss machines!
Saretta is an Indigenous Artist based in Lake Macquarie, she will be selling and exhibiting her work at the event. Find out more at https://www.saretta.com.au/
ÆGLE Couture is a dynamic new fashion brand that was launched in 2017 by a young Congolese entrepreneur on the East Coast of Australia. It promotes positivity, energy, life and confident individuality by giving people the opportunity to design their own unique clothes or choose from our vibrant collection. With a mix of African culture and modern style ÆGLE Couture is a celebration of life and diversity. Find out more at https://www.aeglecouture.com/
Afro Sell are based in Waratah, they will be having a pop up store selling African printed clothes, hair accessories, jewelry, beads and hair braiding.
Sahaja Yoga and Meditation
Sahaja Yoga and Meditation will be hosting drop in classes and information through the day. Stop by and have a chat to the lovely volunteers, try out some yoga poses or take a minute to relax into this New Year with some guided meditation.
At 8.30pm the fireworks postponed from New Year's Eve will be let off from Stockton, offering a clear view right along the Newcastle Foreshore and from higher vantage points such the Obelisk.
As soon as it is dark we will set off the fireworks which we had to postpone due to the wild winds and lightning that hit on New Year's Eve.
Fireworks are proudly sponsored by the Port of Newcastle.