Planning for the next stage of the Bathers Way project is ongoing. Currently we’re focussing on Bather Way – Newcastle Beach
As this is the most complex stage and includes upgrades to Newcastle Beach between Newcastle Surf Life Saving Club and King Edward Park the project is divided into two phases:
- Stage 1: The Bathers Way Newcastle Beach and Recreational Facilities
- Stage 2: Newcastle Community Hub (subject to funding)
As part of the community and stakeholder engagement in 2018 we held drop-in sessions so individuals could review the proposed concept designs and talk with us about what was planned. At the sessions, information was provided about the planned upgrades and we provided opportunities to discuss the scope of the project. In addition to the drop-in sessions we undertook a survey.
After carefully considering what was heard from the community, we revised the design in 2019 and sought further community feedback. Thank you to everyone that submitted comments or participated in our recent online poll. We will publish the results shortly and advise on the next steps.
Our aim has been to establish an updated design which successfully incorporates the skate bowl inside the existing seawall alignment, whilst maintaining the intended community benefits of the project to:
- complete an important section of the Bathers Way from King Edward Park through to Shortlande Esplanade
- replace and improve existing seawall, incorporating bleachers consistent with coastal engineering advice
- provide a skatepark that is fit for purpose
- improve infrastructure and amenities (shade, shelters, exercise equipment, kiosk and landscaping).