Resources and advice are available for small to medium-sized businesses who are interested in improving their businesses energy efficiency or procuring a solar photovoltaic system. This information was developed as part of the Energy Hunter Business program and is available to businesses located in the Newcastle local government area.
Snapshot of success
Energy Hunter was an energy efficiency information program for small and medium sized businesses in the Newcastle and Hunter region. The program, which commenced in May 2012 and ran through until the end May 2015, was funded through a $1.2 million Energy Efficiency Information Grant from the Australian Government.
Using the combined skills and networks of the Hunter Business Chamber, City Of Newcastle and Hunter TAFE, Energy Hunter assisted businesses to identify, manage, and improve their electricity consumption, and save money by becoming more energy efficient.
The program was extremely successful and across the 350 businesses participating in the program resulted in significant energy and cost savings:
- A year-on-year reduction of 5.6 million kWh (5.6 GigaWatt hours) against ‘business as usual’ (from a 2012 baseline year)
- This represented savings for businesses of over $1.1m
With the input and participation of Hunter businesses the program:
- Won the prestigious Climate Change Leadership Award category in the NSW Government’s 2014 Green Globe Awards
- Was named a finalist for the 2014 United Nations Association of Australia Sustainability Leadership Award
- Received a Highly Commended for Community Education and Empowerment at the Local Government NSW 2014 Excellence in the Environment Awards.
During this during the City Of Newcastle Energy Hunter team:
- Assisted 350 small and medium-sized businesses to reduce electricity consumption and become more energy efficient
- Conducted 350+ face-to-face business support site visits
- Delivered 30 energy efficiency educational workshops attended by 324 participants
Council also developed a range of tools to support businesses including:
- a range of energy efficiency business case studies
- Lighting and solar procurement templates and evaluation matrices.
Support for business
Following on from the success of the Energy Hunter program, Council continues to work with businesses to provide energy efficiency resources and advice on a case-by-case basis.
If your business is located in the Newcastle local government area contact Council's Environmental Projects team if you would like support with:
- Improving the energy efficiency of your business; or
- Procuring a solar photovoltaic system.
For more information or to discuss your project please contact Energy & Resource Management in the Projects & Contracts team via eamil at: email@example.com
To access a range of energy efficiency resources visit: theenergyhunterscheme.com.au