The City of Newcastle is currently seeking nominations for the following awards
Citizen of the Year 2019
City of Newcastle awards this title to a worthy recipient for a significant achievement or contribution made over the course of the previous year. Contributions made by the individual may bring regional, national or international recognition to the Newcastle area Nominate now
Young Citizen of the Year 2019
City of Newcastle awards this title to recognise the outstanding contributions made by young citizens to community life. Contributions made by the individual may bring regional, national or international recognition to the Newcastle area and is open to those aged 30 years or under. Nominate now
Community Group of the Year 2019
City of Newcastle awards this title to recognise significant contributions that community groups or other non-profit organisations within the community have made to the welfare of people, the quality of life, the arts, science, engineering, the environment or other fields of endeavour. The benefits are normally local, but may include regional, national or international benefits that bring credit to the Newcastle area. Nominate now.
These awards are a great opportunity to honour those who have made a considerable impact in the community. If you know someone that deserves recognition for their valuable community contributions please nominate them today for the City of Newcastle Australia Day Awards.
Nominations remain open until 5pm Monday 19 November 2018. All enquiries should be directed to 4974 2211 or via email: email@example.com
Who can be nominated?
- Nominees can be individuals (or groups where applicable)
- Nominees must be Australian citizens
- Awards will not be granted posthumously
- Self-nominations will not be accepted
- Nominees must be at least 16 years of age in the year of the award presentation
- Nominees for the category of Young Citizen of the Year must be 30 years of age or younger on 26 January in the year of the award presentation
- Sitting state and federal politicians, current vice-regal and elected members of Council are not eligible for nomination
- Nominees must be residents of the Newcastle local government area except for 'Community Group of the Year' when in exceptional circumstances as determined by the Awards panel. The focus should be on their specific contribution to Newcastle local government area (eg an individual may live in a neighbouring council but has made a significant contribution to a community organisation within the respective council)
- Both individuals and organisations will be considered for 'Community Group of the Year' as this recognises the organising body or committee responsible for the event
- Previous recipients of the award categories may receive the award in the future however the work that this person or organisation made in receiving the original award may not be considered
- Absolutely no weight is given to the number of times a person or organisation is nominated
- The decision of Council and the recommendations of the Awards Panel will be final. No correspondence will be entered into by either body.
Are nominations confidential?
Yes, all nominations are strictly confidential and the information provided will be used only to assist the Panel with assessing the nomination.
What is a referee?
A referee is someone who is in a position to comment directly on the nominee's service. Nominations should be accompanied by the names and addresses of at least 2 referees.
How to compile your nomination?
Complete all details and provide a response to each question (Note - each question must be answered). Attach copies of additional documents such as letters of commendation, Awards the nominee has received, press articles and any other relevant information to support your nomination.
The awards are for the quiet achievers as well as those more familiar high profile achievers. What they have in common is their ability to inspire others, overcome challenges and really make a significant impact on the people of Newcastle. Use our on-line forms to nominate now
Find out who are the previous recipients of these awards.