Pedestrian and traffic improvement projects
We're working on a number of key local area traffic management and pedestrian improvement projects in 2019/20. These projects are at various stages of investigation, planning, design and/or construction this financial year and are subject to change.
For a list of our cycleways projects, head to onyourbike.com.au
Local area traffic management projects
Construction planned for 2019/20
- Albert, Greenway, Church and Grey streets, Wickham - Entry realignments: Design and construction of realigned intersections of Albert, Greenway, Church and Grey streets with Hannell Street, Wickham, in accordance with the Wickham Local Area Traffic Management Plan (2017).
- National Park Street, Merewether - Raised threshold and pedestrian crossing: Design and construction of a raised threshold and pedestrian crossing on National Park Street north of Kenrick Street, Merewether. The project is an approved device in the adopted Hamilton South LATM Study (2013).
- Park Avenue, Kotara - Traffic signals: Design of traffic control signals on Park Avenue at Joslin Street, Kotara.
- Parry Street and National Park Street Intersection, Newcastle West - Raised crossings and kerb extensions: Design and construction of raised crossings and kerb extensions at the intersection of National Park Street and Parry Street, Newcastle West, in accordance with the West End Stage One Public Domain Plan.
- Vista Parade and Princeton Avenue, Kotara - Design and construction of local area traffic management devices: design and construction of a raised threshold with pedestrian crossing on Vista Parade, Kotara, between Grayson Avenue and Princeton Avenue (upgrade of existing children's crossing) and the design and construction of raised mid-block thresholds on Princeton Avenue, in accordance with the Kotara and Adamstown Heights Traffic and Parking Study.
Pedestrian improvement projects
Construction planned for 2019/20
- Glebe Road, Adamstown - Traffic control signals: Construct traffic control signals on Glebe Road at Park Avenue. Stage 1 work complete and stage 2 underway.
- Joslin Street, Kotara - Threshold and pedestrian refuge: Design of raised thresholds and pedestrian refuge in Joslin Street, Kotara between Rae Crescent and Moruya Parade.
- Anderson Drive, Tarro - Footpath construction stage 2: Construction of footpath, Eastern Avenue to Tennyson Street, northern side. Construction in progress.
- Harriet Street at High Street, Waratah - Pedestrian crossing: Design and construction of a pedestrian crossing and lighting upgrade on Harriet Street at High Street, Waratah.
- Jubilee Road, Elermore Vale - Footpath: Design and construction of a footpath approximately 480m in length on the east side of Jubilee Road from No 131 to Watkins Rd, plus 40m kerb and gutter outside 119-121.
- Maitland Road at Silsoe Street and Carrington Street, Mayfield - Kerb ramps: Design and construction of kerb ramps on all corners of the intersection to replace the existing ramps, and the design and construction of an additional pedestrian cross walk on the eastern leg of the Maitland Road at Silsoe Street intersection, Mayfield. The project purpose is to implement universal access at this key intersection enabling all people to walk to adjacent high activity land use areas.
Design planned for 2018/19
- Beech Close to Weller Street, Fletcher - Shared path construction: investigation and design of a link (shared path) from Beech Close to Weller Street, Fletcher, across Wentworth Creek.
- Croudace Road, Elermore Vale - Jubilee Road to Cardiff Road - Footpath: design and construction of a footpath on the northern side of Croudace Road, Elermore Vale from Jubilee Road to Cardiff Road. The length is approximately 640m. The project scope includes design and construction of splitter islands on all legs of the roundabout. Scope also to include pedestrian refuge on Urara Parade.
- Cynthia Street, Adamstown Heights - Footpath: design and potential construction of a footpath from Belair Public School to Westfield Kotara entry (225m east side).
- Denison Street, Hamilton - Kerb ramps (Beaumont Street to Parkway Avenue): Design of kerb ramps, kerb extensions and public utility adjustments as required on Denison Street at Murray Street, Webster Street, Crompton Street, Lawson Street and Turner Street, Hamilton (Denison Street from Beaumont Street to Parkway Avenue). The project purpose is to improve safety and amenity for pedestrians.
- Gordon Avenue, Hamilton South - Pedestrian refuge: Design and construction of a pedestrian refuge with kerb extensions and kerb ramps on Gordon Avenue south of Alexander Street, Hamilton South.
- Industrial Drive at Vine Street, Mayfield - Footway access ramps: Design and construction of footway access ramps to the signalised pedestrian crossing. Provide pedestrian access ramps from low level footways on the south side of Industrial Drive east of Vine Street and Bull Street west of Vine Street to connect to the signalised pedestrian crosswalk.
- Janet Street, Jesmond - Footpath: Design and construction of a footpath on Janet Street, Jesmond between Algie Street and Summit Street and kerb extension at Henry Street.
- Morehead Street, Lambton - Raised pedestrian crossing: Design and construction of a raised pedestrian crossing and kerb extensions at the existing zebra crossing south side at the intersection of Morehead and Elder Streets, Lambton.
- Union, Laman and Bull Streets, Cooks Hill - Raised pedestrian crossings: Design and construction of raised pedestrian crossings and kerb extensions to replace the existing pedestrian crossings on Laman Street and Union Street, and the design of kerb ramps and a marked pedestrian crossing on Bull Street at Union Street.
- Young Road, Lambton - Pedestrian refuges, intersection realignments and kerb ramps: Design and construction of the realignment of the intersection of Durham Road at Young Road Lambton, including the incorporation of kerb ramps and a pedestrian refuge; kerb extension and ramps at the intersection of Wallarah Road at Young Road; pedestrian refuge with kerb ramps on Young Road east of Orlando Road; and a footpath on the south side of Young Road between Durham Road and Orlando Road. The project area has high level pedestrian and motorist activity at certain times due to its proximity to McDonald Jones Stadium, Lambton High School and regional playing fields and parks.
Construction complete 2018/19
- Albert Street, Wickham - Speed cushions: Design and construction of speed humps or cushions on Albert Street, Wickham and Railway Street, Wickham, in accordance with the adopted Wickham Local Area Traffic Management Study (2017).
- Tudor Street at Beaumont Street, Hamilton - Kerb ramps: Design and construction of kerb ramps on the north-east corner of the Tudor Street at Beaumont Street intersection, Hamilton and installation of tactile ground surface indicators at all corners of the intersection. The project purpose is to implement universal access at the key intersection of Beaumont Street and Tudor Street, Hamilton.
- Union Street, Tighes Hill - Kerb ramps: Design and construction of kerb ramps on Union Street at Bryant Street (north-east and south-east corners), Union Street at Tighes Terrace (north-east and south-east corners) and Union Street at Sparke Street (north-east and south-east corners), Tighes Hill. The project purpose is to improve access and safety for all users at these intersections.
- Chinchen St, Islington - Traffic control signals: Finalise detailed design and construct traffic control signals on Chinchen Street at Clyde Street. The concept plan was on public exhibition from 24 September to 22 October 2018.