Access Advisory Committee
Advisory Committees have been established to provide advice to the elected Council on matters of strategic significance, and to provide advice to City of Newcastle on implementation of relevant matters aligned to the Newcastle 2030 Community Strategic Plan.
The Access Inclusion Advisory Committee was established in 2017 and first met on 28 February 2018. The Committee assists with the implementation of our Disability Inclusion Action Plan, which is currently being updated for 2022-2026, along with providing advice on current and relevant local matters relating to disability inclusion in Newcastle.
The objectives and responsibilities of the Access Inclusion Advisory Committee are:
- To enhance the delivery of Council's commitment to the Disability Inclusion Action Plan
- To provide strategic advice and guidance to Council and Council Officers in relation to making Newcastle a highly inclusive community
- To engage people with disabilities, their carers and disability service providers in Local Government
- To discuss localised concerns about barriers experienced by people with disabilities
- To support Council in a manner that is consistent with Council values
- To submit an annual report to the elected Council on the operation and actions of this Committee
An Expression of Interest process for community members to nominate to join the AIAC has now closed.
Applicants will be advised of the outcome shortly.
The 2022-2024 AIAC will consist of 6 community members and 3 Councillors, with the Lord Mayor also holding a position of the committee.
Current membership of the Committee is as follows:
- Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes
- Cr Margaret Wood (Councillor co-chair)
- Cr Katrina Wark
- Cr Dr Elizabeth Adamczyk
- Community Member x 3 (Vacant)
- Organisational Member x 3 (Vacant)
Meetings will be held at a minimum of quarterly, for approximately 2 hours. (Time TBC)
The meeting schedule will be added following adoption at the first meeting.
Meeting papers will be uploaded one week prior to the meeting.
Committee Terms of Reference
View the Terms of Reference (PDF)
The Access Inclusion Advisory Committee is facilitated by City of Newcastle's Community Planning and Development team. They can be contacted on 02 4974 2000 to discuss matters related to the current Disability Inclusion Action Plan, as well as committee activities.
If you would like to provide access and inclusion related feedback about our local infrastructure or services, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.