Acoustic comforts heat up Darby Street
Live acoustic music performances in warm, cosy settings will make for an intimate wintry vibe inside Darby Street businesses this Saturday.
Rugged up in woollen scarves, 20 local acts will play to blanket-clad audiences across 16 shops, boutiques, cafés and bars along the strip between Queen and Parry streets as part of the Winter Live Unplugged festival.
Deputy Lord Mayor Decaln Clausen (right) with harpist Gillian Redmond, shopper Jane Healy and daughter Stella, and Louis (Louey) the woolly sheep.
The venues will offer special tastings, exotic cocktails, designer workshops and other fun activities to the sounds of mellow music amid a snug, 'indoorsy' feel.
"Following the success of Darby Street Live earlier in March, Winter Live Unplugged was conceived by businesses in Darby Street to promote their tastes, styles, fashions and fun during the colder months," Deputy Lord Mayor Declan Clausen said.
"With a high tea at Mrs Woo, gnocchi-making at Coal River & Co, Duck Pie at the Delany and sales items here at Ramjet, there's something for everyone.
"Saturday will have an intimate vibe with the promotional activities reflecting that, so I'm urging everyone to come out and enjoy some live music together with Darby Street's finest offerings."
Funded by a grant from the NSW Live Music Office, as a result of a Lord Mayoral Minute and Council's strong advocacy for live music, Winter Live Unplugged will run from 2pm - 8pm.
For a full program of acts, see the Winter Live Unplugged flyer
(pdf) and special offerings on the day include:
- Abicus - buy one full priced item and receive your second half price (of equal or lesser value)
- Beach Burrito - mini offerings Mexican assortments
- Blackbird Corner - sale rack of Anorak Designs discontinued prints (first in best dressed)
- Coal River & Co - watch gnocchi being made at 3.30pm in the open kitchen
- CoCo Monde Free - a mini dessert tasting plate with every two meals
- Delaney - Duck Pie at a price of $15 on the day
- Delucas - sample pizzas
- High Tea with Mrs Woo - enjoy hot tea while you explore their winter garden installation
- Hop Factory - enjoy happy hour from 2 - 6pm with $6 house beers/wines and spirits + delicious Hunterbelle cheeseboard for $20 (normally $31)
- Jean Bas - free Jean Bas Masterclass Seminars throughout the event
- Monella - hot caramel dumplings
- Natural Tucker - free tasters and free shots of new hemp or kale-blended coffee
- Scout - buy one item and receive your second half price (of equal or lesser value)
Plus sale racks at Ramjet, Blue Star, Betty Mims
The NSW Government's Live Music Office, City Of Newcastle and Newcastle NOW are supporting Winter Live Unplugged.