Pre-Development Application Information and Services
Did you know from January 1 2021, all development applications and the majority of post consent certificates must be submitted through the NSW Planning Portal? Find out more about E-planning with City of Newcastle (CN).
The NSW Planning Portal is a tool managed by the Department of Planning that provides a variety of information including:
- Access to planning controls (i.e. zoning, height controls, heritage, mine subsidence) and legislation that applies to properties across the State, including the Newcastle LGA
- Information on building or renovating
- Access to planning tools e.g. BASIX
Using the portal to identify a property and accessing the relevant planning controls will assist you in preparing an application for CN.
There are two services are provided by CN, to assist you with your Pre-Development Application (pre-DA) enquires.
1. Development and Building Advisory Service - (The Duty Officer)
CN provides a Development and Building Advisory Service where free advice is provided either over the phone or in person at our City Administration Centre located at 12 Stewart Avenue Newcastle West. We encourage you to make an appointment by phoning (02) 4974 2000.
To ensure you make the most of your time with the Duty Officer, it is recommended that you review the LEP maps applicable to the site and relevant sections of the DCP.
2. Pre-DA Advisory Service - Pre-DA Application
A Pre-DA application is not mandatory. Applicants for medium and large developments are encouraged to use this service to assist in lodgement of a complete and comprehensive application resulting in quicker processing times.
The service may also assist applicants for dwelling houses that are impacted by heritage controls.
CN will assess the information provided and provide advice by way of a letter, identifying any relevant issues to be addressed.
We may consider it appropriate to meet with you regarding your proposal. In this instance, a CN Officer will contact you to organise.
Lodging a Pre-DA Application
Complete a Pre Development Application form and supply the following electronic documentation.
- Concept plans, drawn to scale and elevations.
- A brief decision of all development options considered (not required for single dwelling houses)
- A statement describing the proposal and comparison with controls. It is recommended this is presented in a table format comparing the proposal to CN's codes, policies and planning instruments (not required for single dwelling houses)
- It is recommended that photographs of the site and the surrounding streetscape be provided
- The application fee as specified on the application form.
What you will receive?
Within 21 days of the application being lodged you will receive written advice that outlines:
- The statutory matters that will be considered during the assessment of a development application, including classification of development according to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act (the Act), options for integrated development, applicable planning controls, submission requirements and methods of determination that apply to the proposal.
- Specific matters that are considered to warrant further detail, consideration or amendments prior to the submission of a development application.