Staying together, from a safe distance
While we can't get together in person right now, it is still important to feel connected to our friends, family and community.
During the COVID-19 pandemic City of Newcastle (CN) has temporarily updated the submission guidelines for the CN event calendar 'What's On' to allow for the promotion of virtual events. Many events CN had planned to license, sponsor, support or present through our cultural venues have been re-imagined for digital channels and they are a great way for the community to stay connected.
Virtual events are hosted on a digital platform, rather than in person. These events may be hosted via Instagram or Facebook Live, YouTube, Zoom, House Party or other digital meeting spaces.
Virtual events could include live performance broadcasts, online tutorials, or other creative activities.
All events listed on the 'What's On' must be all-age appropriate.
Event submission guidelines
For your event to be listed on our event calendar, events must:
- Be an initiative of a Newcastle local government area-based business, not-for-profit or community group that planned an event during 2020 that has been impacted by COVID-19. This is exclusive to events that have been licensed to be held on crown land, or were sponsored or supported by CN through its various grant programs.
- Be available online via digital streaming portals such as Facebook Live, Instagram Live, Zoom etc.
- Have content available to everyone within the area covered by What's On (for example, no geo-blocking should be applied)
- Comply with regulations from NSW Health and Public Health Orders regarding the person/party delivering the event
- Have broad appeal to the city's community and visitors
- Be submitted by the event organiser or authorised agent
- Be appropriate for all audiences, including children
- Not be a professional development course
- Not be part of qualification coursework
- Not be a study
- Not be a call for volunteers
- Not be a political party fundraiser
- Be finalised and confirmed as ready for delivery prior to submission. Events must have confirmed dates and link or space for joining/registering attendance
- CN is not obliged to list events submitted and reserves the right to edit or decline the listing of any submitted event, have the content submitted, including images, reviewed by CN’s editors noting that having editors review submissions helps to ensure listings are consistent with our style, guidelines are followed, and pages are of a high quality. That means maximum readership for your event.
When you make a submission to CN for the listing of your event in ‘What’s On’ you agree to grant CN a non-exclusive world-wide, royalty-free, perpetual license to copy, distribute and display the submitted listing, including any images, in whole or in part for the Council’s use, including, but not limited to, reproduction and distribution in Council’s printed and electronic materials and posting on CN's Web site(s) in any media for non-profit purposes.
Image specifications and privacy
Photos make your listing more attractive and enable your business or event to be featured. When adding photos, please ensure:
- They are free of text or marketing messages
- They accurately represent your business or event
- You own the copyright or have permission from the copyright owner
- You have permission from any people that can be identified in the image
- If children are identifiable, you have written consent from their parent/guardian
- They comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
Landscape-orientated photos work best. CN accept jpg, png and gif file types.
Image file sizes cannot be larger than 2mb. Each event must have 1 main image. You may upload up to 5 additional images.
Displays as image on the event page
How long does it take for event to be approved?
We aim to review all submissions within 48 hours. Events submitted on a Saturday or Sunday will be reviewed the following Monday.
Do you confirm events taking place?
Event confirmation is the responsibility of the organiser.
How can I make an edit to an event once I have submitted?
Who manages this site?
What's On is curated by Council staff.
We have a range of social media accounts that you can connect with - learn about and interact with your local community or sign up
to one of our newsletters to keep up to date with news and events in Newcastle.
View our Privacy Statement.