Events in your City
Do you want to promote your Newcastle local government area community event in the City of Newcastle What’s on event calendar?
City of Newcastle (CN) has updated the submission guidelines for the CN event calendar 'What's On' to allow for the promotion of virtual, not-for-profit community and events CN had planned to license, sponsor, support or present through our cultural venues and City-managed spaces.
Event submission guidelines
For your event to be listed on our event calendar, events must:
- Be an initiative of a Newcastle local government area-based business, not-for-profit or community group.
- Be an event that has been licensed to be held on crown land or is sponsored or supported by City of Newcastle through its various grant programs.
- Virtual events must be an offering as a result of a planned event that was impacted by COVID-19.
- Virtual events must be available online via digital streaming portals such as Facebook Live, Instagram Live, Zoom etc. Virtual events must have content available to everyone within the area covered by What's On (for example, no geo-blocking should be applied).
- Events and Virtual events must comply with regulations from NSW Health and Public Health Orders regarding the person/party delivering the event as well as COVIDSafe measures for participants of the event.
- The event has the appropriate event license approvals, permissions and insurances.
- Be open to the general public
- Have broad appeal to the city's community and visitors
- Be submitted by the event organiser or authorised agent
- Not have adults only content
- Not be a professional development, coursework or study event
- Not be promoting a business
- Not be a call for volunteers
- Not be a political party fundraiser
- Be finalised and confirmed as ready for delivery prior to submission. Events must have confirmed dates and link or space for joining/registering attendance.
- CN is not obliged to list events submitted and reserves the right to edit or decline the listing of any submitted event, have the content submitted, including images, reviewed by CN’s editors noting that having editors review submissions helps to ensure listings are consistent with our style, guidelines are followed, and pages are of a high quality. That means maximum readership for your event.
When you make a submission to CN for the listing of your event in ‘What’s On’ you agree to grant CN a non-exclusive world-wide, royalty-free, perpetual license to copy, distribute and display the submitted listing, including any images, in whole or in part for the Council’s use, including, but not limited to, reproduction and distribution in Council’s printed and electronic materials and posting on CN's Web site(s) in any media for non-profit purposes.
Image specifications and privacy
Photos make your listing more attractive and enable your business or event to be featured. When adding photos, please ensure:
- They are free of text or marketing messages
- They accurately represent your business or event
- You own the copyright or have permission from the copyright owner
- You have permission from any people that can be identified in the image
- If children are identifiable, you have written consent from their parent/guardian
- They comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
Landscape-orientated photos work best with each image being no greater than 2MB and 860px wide and 400px high. CN accepts jpg, png and gif file types.
Each event must have one main photo, and you may upload up to 5 photos.
How long does it take for event to be approved?
We aim to review all submissions within 48 hours. Events submitted on a Saturday or Sunday will be reviewed the following Monday.
Do you confirm events taking place?
Event confirmation is the responsibility of the organiser.
How can I make an edit to an event once I have submitted?
Who manages this site?
What's On is managed by CN staff.
We have a range of social media accounts that you can connect with - learn about and interact with your local community or sign up
to one of our newsletters to keep up to date with news and events in Newcastle.
View our Privacy Statement.