Stepping into an op shop for the first time may be overwhelming. At first sight, it seems disorganised and filled with random uncertainty. Go beyond this initial look and discover the excellence of shopping preloved to help reduce waste and reuse what’s already in circulation.
The guided op shop and preloved trail gives you confidence to step into the preloved shops and learn how to op shop with purpose. With your guide Mardi Lee from French for Tuesday, discover the best tips for how to op shop, delight in the affordable pricing, and learn about the uniqueness of second hand shopping, in addition to the advantages of shopping at more than one op shop.
The Wallsend Op Shop Trail starts and ends at the Newcastle Repair Cafe at Wallsend Library so make the most of the opportunity to get an item repaired after the Trail while you enjoy a complimentary morning tea. Featured repairers include clothing/textiles, small hand tools/furniture. Bookings are essential for the Newcastle Repair Cafe, book in via the Newcastle Repair Cafe listing.
The purpose of the op shop & preloved trail:-
- Reduce our environmental impact by prioritising preloved and secondhand shopping. This makes a positive impact on alleviating the local and global textile waste problem.
- Choose to shop at local, non-profit and small for-profit businesses, who in turn support the preloved economy.
- For the community to feel more comfortable and confident about shopping preloved. Providing positive guidance, experience and support helps the community feel reassured and relaxed.
- Celebrate individual fashion style with items unique to the preloved economy.
- Promote wholesome community connections by meeting others who share a common purpose by participating in this positive impact event.
You’ll leave the trail with either something or some thing to think about! Know you’ve made a difference to reducing the local and global plastic, stuff and textile waste problems.
Bookings essential. Note that not all op shops are wheelchair accessible.
The Wallsend Op Shop Trail is a Purple Card Project initiative, proudly supported by the City of Newcastle and Wallsend Town Business Association. This is another initiative delivered under your Special Business Rate program.