City of Newcastle has produced a location map of designated on street accessible parking spaces within the inner city. Please note that some of the spaces indicated on this map may not be fully compliant with today's standards of construction for accessible parking. We undertake upgrades of these spaces where funds permit or other work is being undertaken within the area such as through our local centres upgrades.
Stopping in a parking area for people with mobility issues:
- Parking Penalty Notice maybe issued to a vehicle not displaying a valid Mobility Permit in a designated Mobility Zone
- Mobility Permit Holders who have parked over the time allowed by the Mobility Parking Scheme concession may receive a Parking Penalty Notice for exceeding time
- Mobility Parking Zones are in various locations in the LGA.
How long can I park?
The concessions for time limited parking are explained in this section. Here are some quick links for more information:
Permissive parking signs
- Where parking is limited to more than 30 minutes, the vehicle can park for an unlimited time
- Where parking is limited to 30 minutes, the vehicle can park for 2 hours
- Where parking is limited to less than 30 minutes, the vehicle can park for a maximum of 30 minutes.
Ticket parking areas
A vehicle displaying an MPS card with the Australian Disability Parking Permit can park in ticket parking areas at no charge.
A vehicle displaying an MPS card with the Australian Disability Parking Permit must not stop for longer that five minutes and only to drop off or pick up passengers or goods and the driver must remain within three metres of the vehicle.
Where can't I park?
All other parking rules apply. For example, MPS permits do not allow vehicles to stand or be parked between No Stopping signs, on taxi stands, bus, loading, construction or truck zones or clearways.