Beresfield local centre was one of the first centres to be renewed in 2018/19 as part of City of Newcastle’s local and neighbourhood centres program.
To guide the renewal a public domain plan was developed for Beresfield local centre, which involved community consultation to identify issues and possible solutions.
Infrastructure renewal work was completed in August 2019 and to celebrate we invite the community to join us at the upcoming Opening Event.
Please see invitation (pdf) from Lord Mayor, Nuatali Nelmes for the opening to be held:
Date: Friday 20 September 2019
Time: 10.30am to 12.30pm
Location: Kyrie Park, Beresfield (cnr of Addison and Milton Streets)
- A 40km/h zone and associated traffic calming devices to reduce speed and increase safety
- Road and pedestrian lighting upgrade, including lighting to the railway station
- Drainage renewal and rain garden which will improve the quality of water run-off that enters Hexham Wetlands
- New site appropriate street trees
- New street furniture, including seats, bike racks and bins
- New kerb, gutter and footpath
- Renewed road pavement
- Retention of on street parking
- Free WiFi.
Placemaking Project status
Construction work for Beresfield local centre infrastructure renewal commenced in March 2018 and was be carried out in stages. The infrastructure renewal work was completed in August 2019.
A collaborative community placemaking process for the design of the new community public open space at the intersection of Beresford Avenue and Lawson Avenue is ongoing with completion planned for early 2020.
Visit Have Your Say ~ Beresfield: Bring this space to life to view the community feedback gathered from the April 2019 placewarming activities and to be involved in future consultation.