Dogs are only allowed to be off-leash in leash free designated areas approved by Council.
The following rules apply:
- All dogs are to be accompanied and supervised
- All dogs area must be able to be controlled without a leash
- Dogs that are declared dangerous dogs by Council (such as aggressive and restricted breeds identified by the Companion animals Act 1998) are not allowed to use any designated off leash areas
- Dog owners / controllers MUST remove all dog faeces that may be deposited by the dog under their control
- Dogs MUST NOT be encouraged to attack. The dog owner is liable under legislation if the dog attacks a person or animal
- Dogs are permitted off leash between sunrise and sunset only except in time restricted areas
- Dogs are not permitted on the Memorial Walk
- Within time restricted off leash areas, dogs are allowed off leash between sunrise and 9am and between 5pm and sunset.
These areas are patrolled. There are penalties for non compliance.
Dogs in Open Space Strategy
Council is developing a ‘Dogs in Open Spaces Strategy’ and we want to talk to you about your needs, issues and ideas for dog off leash areas across Newcastle. Our 'Have your say'
page has information on how you can provide your feedback on this topic.
For further information
or contact Council on 02 4974 2000.