Electronic waste or 'e-waste', including computers and accessories, is a growing problem in Australia.
E-waste contains toxic materials, such as lead, mercury and arsenic. If it is sent to landfill or incorrectly dispose of, these materials can leach into the soil and groundwater, causing harm to our environment and human health.
Recycling e-waste also allows valuable non-renewable resources, such as tin, nickel, zinc and copper, to be recovered for reuse.
There are a number of drop-off options for recycling e-waste in Newcastle.
Summerhill Waste Management Centre
A free, permanent e-waste drop-off is available to Newcastle residents (proof of address required)
at Summerhill Waste Management Centre. Household quantities apply - up to 10 items per visit.
Fees and charges apply for additional quantities, for commercial customers and for non-residents.
Accepted items include:
- CD drives
- CD players
- CDs and DVDs
- Computers - desktop PCs, notebooks, laptops and tablets
- Computer monitors: CRT and flat screen (LED, LCD or Plasma)
- Computer peripherals (keyboards, mice, joysticks, webcam)
- Computer towers
- DVDs and CDs
- DVD players
- Electrical and electronic tools - sewing machines, drills, saws, welding tools, electric mowers and tools for other gardening activities.
- Electronic games/toys
- Fax machines
- Floppy discs
- Gaming consoles
- Hard drives
- iPads, iPods, tablets
- Mobile phones, chargers and accessories (no batteries)
- Multi-function devices
- Networking equipment
- Phones: landline and mobile
- Power tools
- Printers (desktop)
- Small household appliances e.g. kettles, toasters, irons, vacuum cleaners, hairdryers, carpet sweepers, irons, electric knives, electric shavers, handheld electric mixers, fans.
- Sound equipment
- Televisions - CRT and flat screen (LED, LCD or Plasma)
- UPS units
- Vacuum cleaners
- VCR players
- Video cameras
The following items are not accepted as part of the Summerhill e-waste service:
Televisions can be recycled, free of charge, at Domayne's Broadmeadow warehouse. The warehouse is open from 10am to 5pm on weekdays and is located at 16A Heddon Road, Broadmeadow. For full details and conditions, call 02 4941 3926.
You can recycle computers and IT accessories free of charge at participating Officeworks. Please contact the individual stores in advance to organise a drop off and to confirm their opening hours and acceptable items.
- Officeworks Kotara - 35 Northcott Drive, Kotara 02 4956 0700
- Officeworks Marketown Shopping Centre - Shop 32, Newcastle West (Corner Parry and National Park Streets) 02 4925 9700
For more information visit DHL Drop Zones.
Storage King at Adamstown will accept computers, printers, fax machines, desktop printers, hard drives, VCR and DVD players, keyboards, mice and mobile phones. To use the service you must purchase a Storage King Removalist Box for $3.50 and return it for recycling. Televisions are not accepted via this service. Visit ECOACTIV for a full list of acceptable items and other Storage King drop off locations.