Disability Inclusion Committee
Strategy 4 of Newcastle City Council's Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2016-2019 reads as "Establish partnerships which address community wide barriers to access and inclusion" and action (d) is "Establish a community advisory committee in the next term of Council".
By Council resolution on 24 October 2017, approval was given to proceed with an Expression of Interest process to establish a Disability Inclusion Advisory Committee (DIAC). The functions of this committee are outlined in the Committee Charter.
Objectives and Responsibilities
- To enhance the delivery of Council's commitment to the Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2016-2019
- To provide strategic advice and guidance to Council and Council Officers in relation to making Newcastle a highly inclusive community
- To engage People with Disabilities, their Carers and Disability Service Providers in Local Government
- To discuss localised concerns about barriers experienced by People with Disabilities
- To support Council in a manner that is consistent with Council values
- To submit an Annual Report to Council on the operation and actions of the DIAC.
DIAC meetings are held every 2 months for a period up to 2 hours, currently between 4:30pm and 6:30pm.
Meeting dates for 2018 include
Wednesday 28 February
Wednesday 2 May
Wednesday 27 June
Wednesday 22 August
Wednesday 24 October
Wednesday 19 December
The charter outlines that the Committee Membership will consist of 3 Councillor Representatives, 3 Organizational Representatives from community organisations specializing in service provision and/or advocacy services in the Disability Sector, and 3 Community Members who have lived experience of disabilities and/or are carers or family members of people with disabilities.
In light of the applications received during the Expression of Interest process for the committee, a decision was made to increase the Community Membership from 3 to 5 positions resulting in the DIAC now having 11 members.
Cr Matthew Byrne (Councillor representative)
Cr Carol Duncan (Councillor representative)
Cr Peta Winney-Baartz (Councillor representative).
Further details about members will be published shortly.
The committee is required to produce an Annual Report on it's activities to the Council each financial.