Personal Training in the Newcastle Local Government Area
To achieve the vision for a vibrant and activated public place and a caring and inclusive community, Newcastle City Council supports a range of activities across Newcastle's parks, sportsground and beaches. This includes personal training, group fitness and boot camp classes. Council regulates these activities by issuing a license permitting this use.
When you need consent
Personal trainers and commercial outdoor fitness trainers (trainers) in the Newcastle LGA require consent to conduct their activities. Trainers are advised that all outdoor fitness training sessions require a license and payment of fees.
Trainers must ensure activities are conducted in approved areas. Outdoor fitness licenses will not be issued for high activity areas and/or areas of cultural, environmental or natural significance. Specific areas prohibited include but are not limited to:
- Newcastle Eastern End Exclusion Zone (pdf)
- Newcastle Ocean Baths
- Newcastle Beach
- Merewether Ocean Baths and adjacent stairways
- Grassed areas adjacent to Surf Life Saving Clubs
- Sand dunes
- 20 metres from memorials
- 20 metres from playgrounds, play equipment and public BBQ facilities
- 20 metres from any public change room, toilet or kiosk facilities.
How to apply and fees and charges
Trainers must apply for a Personal Trainers Licence when operating on Newcastle's parks, sportsground and beaches.
The Personal Training Application Form (pdf) is to be completed and return with the following documents:
- A current Certificate of Currency noting Newcastle City Council as an 'interested party' for a minimum of $20,000,000
- A copy of accreditation as a fitness trainer with Fitness NSW and/or accreditation from VETAB providers such as TAFE and universities specific to the type of activity to be conducted
- A current first aid certificate.
2017/18 (GST inclusive) licence fees
- Application fee - per application >15 days notice (non refundable) - $125.00
- Late Application Fee - applications received by council less than 15 days prior to the date of the event (non refundable) - $229.30
- Personal Fitness Training Licence - park / sportsground / beach - per quarter / 1 location (3 hours or less per week) - $489.10
- Personal Fitness Training Licence - park / sportsground / beach - per quarter / 1 location (3 hours or more per week) - $620.00
- Personal Fitness Training Licence - park / sportsground / beach - per quarter / 2 locations (3 hours or less per week) - $540.05
- Personal Fitness Training Licence - park / sportsground / beach - per quarter / 2 locations (3 hours or more per week) - $686.00)
Sports Liaison Officer (02) 4974 2812 or email@example.com