Swimming Pool Requirements
Find out all you need to know about owning a pool or spa including safety regulations and registration.
Need to know
Swimming pools are wonderful if the appropriate safety precautions are put in place to ensure the safety of your family and friends.
What is a pool?
Any excavation, structure or vessel including swimming pools and spa pools that is:
- capable of being filled with water to a depth greater than 30cm, and
- used, designed, manufactured or adapted for swimming, wading, paddling or any other human aquatic activity.
Pool safety is the responsibility of the pool owner. You must ensure you:
- register your pool or spa on the NSW Government Swimming Pool Register
- use the Pool Safety Checklists to inspect your pool's safety
- have a child resistant pool barrier fence and ensure the gate locks
- check that the gate self-closes from any position
- have a visible resuscitation chart
- remove any objects or trees near the pool barrier that would allow a small child to gain access to the pool
- have discussed with your family what to do in the event of an emergency
- ensure children are properly supervised