Construction Certificates

All Construction Certificates and the majority of post consent certificates must be submitted through the NSW Planning Portal. If you are applying for City of Newcastle (CN) to provide you with a Construction Certificate, you need to apply for a 'Post Consent Certificate', select a 'Construction Certificate' and nominate 'Newcastle City Council' to complete the task.

Once you have development consent for building work, you will need to obtain a Construction Certificate.

Generally, you should lodge your Construction Certificate after you have received Development Consent. However, if your proposal is relatively simple, it is possible to lodge the application at the same time as your Development Application.

If you would like CN to complete all the certification work for the development, on the Planning Portal, you will need to:

  1. Appoint 'Newcastle City Council' as the Principal Certifier.
  2. Apply for a 'Construction Certificate', and once all works are complete,
  3. Apply for an 'Occupation Certificate'.

If you have any questions please contact us on 02 4974 2000 between 8 am - 5 pm Monday to Friday.

Frequently asked questions

A Construction Certificate is required before the commencement of building work subject to a development consent (except when a Complying Development Certificate has been issued).

A Construction Certificate certifies that:

  1. The detailed construction plans and specifications will comply with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) including relevant associated structural standards and codes
  2. The detailed construction plans and specifications are 'not inconsistent' with the development consent
  3. All outstanding conditions of the development consent such as the payment of section 94 contributions, security deposits, bonds, and conditions of consent must be finalised before a Construction Certificate is issued.

A Construction Certificate may be issued by CN or by a private accredited certifier.

All Construction Certificates must be submitted through the NSW Planning Portal. If you would also like CN to act as the Principal Certifier, you must also make a second "Post Consent Certificate" application. For both applications appoint "Newcastle City Council" to assess the application and complete the inspections.

Once the application has been lodged and reviewed by CN you will be contacted to arrange payment of the required fees. CN's Contact Centre can be contacted to obtain a fee quote on (02) 4974 2000.

Find out more about E-planning with CN.