Building and Development Information Guides

Are you looking to build or renovate?

Looking for a guide to assist in determining what type of development requires an application to Council?

See the below information guides for general information regarding building and developing.

The information provided is to be used as a guide to assist you in determining if you require a development application for works you plan to carry out and the relevant planning controls to consider in the preparation of your application where required.

Council cannot advise whether your development is classified as exempt. This is something you must be satisfied with as the property owner. You may choose to engage the help of a development professional such as a town planning consultant, building surveyor/certifier, architect or draftsperson to help you through your development process.

This information provides a summary of key elements. Any person using this information must do so on the basis that, not every scenario and issue can be addressed, and discussion with Council should be undertaken. This information is subject to change without notice.

Advertising Signage
Air Conditioning
Boarding Houses and Co-living
Building Height Explained
Change of Use
Fire Places - Domestic Oil and Solid Fuel Heating
Home Based Commercial Enterprises (HBCE)
Home Building Compensation Fund (HBCF)
Lead Paint
Mobile Business
Owner Builders
Pollution Signs
Retaining Wall
Secondary Dwellings - Granny Flats
Shipping Containers
Short Term Rental Accommodation
Swimming Pool/ Spa
Temporary Events and Uses on Private Land
Tiny Houses