Newcastle off leash areas allow your dog to be exercised off leash.
The following conditions apply when bringing our furry friends to the park:
- Dogs are permitted off leash between sunrise and sunset only
- Off leash activities will be permitted only on designated areas approved by Council.
- All dogs using the areas are to be accompanied and supervised by a competent person.
- All dogs using the area must be able to be controlled without a leash, eg. return to handler on command.
- Dogs declared dangerous dogs by Council, menacing and restricted breeds eg. Pitbull Terriers as indicated under the Companion Animals Act 1998 are not permitted to use any designated off leash areas.
- It is the responsibility of the dog owner in each instance to remove all dog faeces.
- The owner is liable if the dog attacks a person or animal.
- Dogs must not be encouraged to attack.
NB: Dog owners are responsible for picking up after their dog.
Off Leash Locations
- Acacia Avenue, New Lambton- Acacia St will be the city’s first fenced dog park where owners can legally let their dogs roam free inside their very own playground
- Ballast Ground, Stockton
- Carrington Foreshore
- Horseshoe Beach, Newcastle
- King Edward Park, Newcastle
- Islington Park, Islington
- Maryland Dr Reserve, Maryland
- Michael St Reserve, Lambton
- Pitt St Reserve (off King St), Stockton
- Purdue Park (off Scholey St), Mayfield
- Nesca Park, Newcastle
- Tarro Recreation Area, Tarro
- Upper Reserve, Wallsend
Time Restricted Off Leash Areas
- Braye Park, Waratah: Sunrise to 9am, 5pm to sunset.
- West End Park, Adamstown: Sunrise to 9am, 5pm to sunset.
- Elermore Vale Park, Elermore Vale: Sunrise to 9am, 5pm to sunset.
- Dixon Park Reserve, Merewether: Sunrise to 9am, 5pm to sunset.
Dogs are only allowed to be off-leash in leash free designated areas approved by Council.
The following rules apply:
- All dogs are to be accompanied and supervised
- All dogs area must be able to be controlled without a leash
- Dogs that are declared dangerous dogs by Council (such as aggressive and restricted breeds identified by the Companion animals Act 1998) are not allowed to use any designated off leash areas
- Dog owners / controllers MUST remove all dog faeces that may be deposited by the dog under their control
- Dogs MUST NOT be encouraged to attack. The dog owner is liable under legislation if the dog attacks a person or animal
- Dogs are permitted off leash between sunrise and sunset only except in time restricted areas
- Dogs are not permitted on the Memorial Walk
- Within time restricted off leash areas, dogs are allowed off leash between sunrise and 9am and between 5pm and sunset.
These areas are patrolled. There are penalties for non compliance.
For further information
or contact Council on (02) 4974 2000.