A work zone permit is a parking permit available for tradesmen, contractors or builders to carry out building/construction works in an area where there is a high parking demand.
It is generally only suitable for long-term works due to the cost and time required to install work zone signage.
A signposted work zone is for the sole use of the applicant's (person/company) construction vehicles and allows parking for these vehicles and for the pick-up/set down of construction materials.
Work zones are enforced by City of Newcastle (CN) Parking Compliance Officers. Vehicles not related to the construction works can be issued with an infringement notice.
Read conditions for the approval of work zones (pdf)
How to apply for a work zone
- New work zone applications must be submitted at least 15 business days prior to the required start date of the work zone or 20 business days if an existing parking meter is located within the zone. This is to allow sufficient time for processing and submission of work orders to the depot for signage and parking meter removal.
- Complete the application form on this webpage and submit it along with all supporting documentation (see below) to email@example.com
All applications must include:
- Site plan showing the location of the construction site, adjacent streets, existing kerbside parking restriction signposting, driveways and the preferred location of the Work Zone.
- Notification leaflet / letter for local residents, businesses and any other groups likely to be affected by the work zone, including who is responsible for the works, contact details, and the date and location of the work zone. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide CN with a copy of the notification and to distribute it at least three (3) business days in advance of the work zone installation.
- Distribution map showing the proposed letter / leaflet distribution area
How to apply for an extension
- Extension requests must be submitted at least 10 working days prior to the end date of the current work zone permit or 15 working days if changes to the existing work zone are required.
- Where an extension request is not received as per the required timeframes above the workzone will be removed at the end of the permit date.
- Complete the Work Zone Extension Application Form (pdf) and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Expiry of work zone
- Please submit confirmation to email@example.com that the workzone is no longer required at least 15 days in advance of the expiry date if reinstallation of a parking meter is required, otherwise 10 working days prior to the expiry date.
What fees are involved?
- For details of applicable fees and charges please see City of Newcastle's current Fees and Charges Register or the application form.
- Please note the introduction of a late fee for applications received within the required notification period.
What happens next?
- The application is assigned to a traffic engineer for assessment.
- A Letter of Agreement with a cost estimate is provided to the applicant.
- A signed copy of the agreement must be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org
- On receipt of the signed Letter of Agreement a works order for sign installation for the required date will be submitted.
- An invoice for payment will be emailed to the applicant.
For any enquiries please contact email@example.com
To report illegal parking in a work zone call City of Newcastle Parking Officers on 4974 2000.