Make a Claim: Injury or Property Damage
Before you submit your claim
- This form is to be used when claiming for personal injury, loss, or damage to property.
- For claims for damage caused by a City of Newcastle motor vehicle, please complete the Motor Vehicle claim form.
- For claims for damage allegedly caused by a pothole, please complete the Potholes claim form.
- Personal injury and property damage claims are managed by City of Newcastle's claims management service provider, JLT Risk Solutions. Your submission will be sent directly to JLT to independently assess and manage your claim.
- If you have insurance, we recommend that you contact your insurer first. If you do not have insurance, you can still lodge a claim with City of Newcastle.
Gather your documents
These might include:
- photos of the hazard
- Any relevant reports or witness statements
Eligibility for compensation
- Consider whether you are eligible to submit a claim; you may wish to seek legal advice.
- Accepting your claim does not mean we accept liability for the Claim.
- We may accept your claim if you can prove City of Newcastle was negligent or at fault.
- If we were unaware of the hazard (for example, damage to a footpath or road) we may not accept liability.
- City of Newcastle works within the NSW Civil Liability Act 2002. The Act recognises that functions exercised by councils are limited by available resources.
After you submit your claim
Once you have submitted your claim:
- You will receive an email acknowledging we have received your claim.
- JLT may need to contact you if we need more information, or advise of any additional action to be taken.
- Your claim will be assessed by JLT on a Without Prejudice basis.
- JLT will let you know the outcome of your claim in writing.
Claims can take time to assess due to their complexity and the information you provide. We will try our best to complete all claims assessments as quickly as possible.
City of Newcastle is committed to protecting your privacy. We take reasonable steps to comply with relevant legislation and our Privacy Management Plan, regarding collection, storage, use and disclosure of your personal information.
Purpose of collection: We will use your personal information to process your claim.
Intended recipients: Authorised City of Newcastle officers, contractors, or agents.
Consequence of non-provision: We may not be able to process your claim.
Storage and security: Information will be stored in our electronic databases and will only be available to authorised City of Newcastle officers, contractors or agents.
Access: Your information can be checked for accuracy by calling us on (02) 4974 2000.