Roads-Road Occupancy Application Form

A road occupancy permit is required for the use of part or all of a Council road (including roadway, footpath or nature strip within Council road reserve) to carry out works. Common reasons to obtain a road occupancy permit include:

  1. Footpath/road closure, the occupation of parking spaces, or occupation of the public road space during construction or removal of hoarding.
  2. Enclosing part of the footpath and/or nature strip to repair an awning or building façade (using removable fence or traffic cones for short term work - less than one month duration).
  3. Concrete pour or major deliveries where safety is at risk.
  4. Standing a crane or similar equipment to lift goods, facilitate concrete pours or conduct building maintenance.
  5. Driveway construction which closes off part of the footpath to pedestrian traffic.
  6. Road works in support of gas, watermain, sewer or electrical maintenance activities.
  7. Rail line maintenance.
  8. Construction adjoining a Council road reserve.

Read Standard conditions for close road / lane for construction purposes (pdf)

How to apply

The application form must be submitted at least 5 business days before the permit is required, or 10 days prior to commencement of works for a complex construction traffic management plan, including works requiring a crane, mobile concrete boom pumps, elevated work platforms with deployable outriggers, or similar equipment*.

Complete the form available on this webpage and submit it, along with all supporting documentation, to


All applications must include:

  • Traffic control plan

The applicant must provide a site-specific plan for the management of traffic in accordance with the ‘TfNSW Traffic Control at Work Sites Technical Manual’ or a revised traffic control plan (TCP).

  • Certificate of Currency

A certificate of currency for $10,000,000 (minimum) public liability insurance of the crane / construction company as well as the traffic control operators, with CITY OF NEWCASTLE noted as an interested party on the policy.

  • Notification leaflet / letter

Local residents, businesses and any other groups likely to be affected by the works (including footpath closures) must be notified of the upcoming works usually at least three (3) business days in advance. It is the applicant's responsibility to distribute a notification letter or leaflet and to also get approval from public transport providers or police where applicable. You must provide us with a copy of the notification letter / leaflet which should include who is responsible for the works, the date and location of the works and contact details.

  • Distribution map

A map showing the proposed letter / leaflet distribution area. It will be the applicant’s responsibility to distribute these notifications and they must usually be issued at least three (3) business days prior to the works taking place.

  • Works involving a crane or similar equipment*

If a crane or similar equipment is to be used in the works, a lift study must also be supplied. At a minimum the lift study must include applied outrigger loading forces, outrigger pad size/s (or alternatively, outrigger pad pressure/s), and the location of the lift, including imagery of the crane or similar equipment overlaid on an aerial map showing proposed location of outriggers / outrigger pads.

* 'Similar equipment' includes mobile concrete boom pumps, elevated work platforms with deployable outriggers, or equipment which does not load pavement via conventional pneumatic tyres to 'typical' axle loads. If in doubt, include available information in your application for clarification.

What happens next?


An application is logged, given a permit reference number and assigned to a traffic engineer for assessment. They will confirm the conditions of the permit and whether any additional fees are due for loss of parking spaces.


A request for payment will be issued. Payment is made online via Bpoint. Please ensure you enter your email address to receive a copy of the payment receipt. City of Newcastle automatically receives a copy of the Bpoint payment receipt.


Once the payment receipt is received your permit will be issued. Please note the conditions of the permit. A copy of the permit and TCP must be made available at any time for CN Officer/Ranger perusal, or penalties may apply.


How long does it take to have a permit assessed?

We aim to assess standard applications within five (5) business days. To ensure you secure any necessary permit(s) by the required date and can provide affected residents and businesses with the required advance notice of the proposed works (usually at least three business days), application forms and all supporting documentation must be submitted at least five (5) business days before the permit is required, or 10 days prior to commencement of works for a complex construction traffic management plan, or works requiring a crane or similar equipment.

I need a permit within 5 business days. Will it be assessed in time?

Applications for emergency works and repairs are prioritised. All other applications are assessed on a first-come first-served basis. CN is receiving an increasing number of applications for road occupancy permits. Whilst many applications are assessed within a couple of days of submission, we cannot guarantee the assessment of an application and supporting documentation that have been submitted with insufficient lead-time.

Further, it is a condition of the majority of permits that local residents and businesses be notified of the upcoming works usually at least three business days in advance of the works. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure this notification is provided.

Where a crane or similar equipment is to be used in the works, the lift study will be reviewed by CN’s Assets Team. This requires a longer period of assessment and applicants should ensure their application is submitted at least 10 working days prior to the commencement of works to ensure the application and supporting documentation can be assessed, any revisions discussed, and the permit issued in time.

The late fee does not guarantee an application will be processed by the required date.

Can I change the date of my permit?

Yes. If you need to change the date of your permit (for example, due to rescheduling, inclement weather etc) you must inform us by email ( before 9am on the day of the permit, or the start time of the permit, whichever is earliest.

There is no fee for changing the date of a permit where we have been advised prior to the start date/time of the original permit, and if the scope and duration of the works remain the same. You will need to ensure a notification letter with the amended date(s) is provided to local residents and businesses.

How long can I get a permit for?

The maximum timeframe a permit will be approved is for one month. For works longer than this time-frame you will need to request an extension each month. Further fees may apply to an extension request.

Can I extend my existing permit?

Yes. If you need to extend an existing permit you must contact us by email ( before your current permit expires. Further fees may apply to an extension request. If there are any changes to the scope of works that require further review please allow the usual timeframes

Road Occupancy Permit or Road Occupancy Licence?

A Road Occupancy Licence (ROL) is required to conduct activities like road maintenance, lane closures, building, or construction work that is likely to have an impact on the operations of an arterial road or assets (such as traffic lights) administered by Transport for NSW. An ROL must be applied for via Transport for NSW’s OPLINC online system.

What is a notification letter?

The applicant must inform nearby residents, businesses or other affected groups of upcoming works. the applicant must provide CN with a copy of the letter or leaflet that will be used to do this. It should cover:

  • The nature of the works taking place
  • Who is undertaking the works
  • When the works will be done
  • Likely impact on residents
  • Contact name and number

It is the applicant’s responsibility to distribute the notification letter. The conditions of the road occupancy permit usually require that notification is given at least three (3) business days in advance of the works.

What is a distribution map?

The distribution map should show the area you intend to distribute notification letters. Free online mapping providers can be used to generate a map showing an outline of the intended letter drop area.

What are the fees and charges?

Fees and charges are set out in the application form. For full details please see City of Newcastle's Fees and Charges Register.

Please note a Late Application Fee ($50) will be applied to applications where the requested date is inside the required notification period. Payment of the Late Application Fee does not guarantee that an application will be assessed and approved by the requested date.