Pedestrian and traffic improvement projects
We will be working on a range of traffic management and pedestrian improvement projects under the LATM (Local Area Traffic Management) and PAMP (Pedestrian Access and Mobility Plan) programs in the 2022/2023 financial year. The projects are at various stages of investigation, planning, design and/or construction. For some projects, we need to undertake more consultation before designs are finalised.
Local area traffic management projects
- Chinchen St, Islington - Construction of traffic signals at the intersection of Chinchen and Clyde streets, Islington. Project has been delayed but is expected to be finished by the end of the year.
- Frederick Street, Merewether –Construction of a raised pedestrian crossing at Coane Street and design of a raised crossing at Berner Street including connecting footpaths.
- Croudace Road, Elermore Vale - Investigation and design of traffic signals at the intersection of Croudace Road and Garsdale Avenue, Elermore Vale.
- Glebe Road at Park Avenue, Adamstown - Construction of traffic signals. The project has been delayed but construction is expected to commence later in the year.
- Memorial Drive, Bar Beach – Design of a raised pedestrian crossing to replace the existing pedestrian crossing near the carpark
- Park Avenue, Kotara - Investigation of traffic control signals at the intersection of Park Avenue and Joslin Street, Kotara.
- Parry Street and National Park Street intersection, Newcastle West – Investigation and design of control of the intersection, including improved pedestrian connections.
- Prince Street, Waratah - Design of traffic management devices.
- Tauranga Road, New Lambton - Restriction of traffic movement one way northbound between Lambton Road and Thalaba Road, and the construction of a separated cycle lane to maintain access for southbound cyclists.
- Tighes Hill - Design and construction of traffic calming devices as indicated in the report Tighes Hill Local Area Traffic Management (LATM) Plan Review. Upgrade of the crossing on Elizabeth St, near Union St, to a raised pedestrian crossing with construction expected to start August.
- Wood Street, Newcastle - Design of a raised crossing at the intersection of Hunter Street and modification to allow one way traffic flow south bound on Wood Street, with provision of cycling facilities to maintain access for northbound cyclists.
Pedestrian improvement projects
- Beech Close to Weller Street, Fletcher - Investigation and concept design of a link (shared path) from Beech Close to Weller Street, Fletcher, across Wentworth Creek.
- Brunker Road, Broadmeadow – Design and construction of a raised crossing at the existing pedestrian crossing east of Coola Road.
- Delando Street, Waratah - Design of a footpath on the south side of Delando Street from Lambton Road and on the west side of Crescent Road to Christo Road
- Elizabeth Street at Maitland Road, Mayfield - Design of a pedestrian refuge with kerb extensions at the intersection of Elizabeth Street with Maitland Road, Mayfield.
- Hannah Street and Ranclaud Street, Wallsend - Design of a footpath on Hannah Street and Ranclaud Street, Wallsend, from Macquarie Street to Clarke Street
- Hawthorne Street, Beresfield - Concept design of a footpath on Hawthorne Street, Beresfield between Beresford Street and Boomerang Street.
- Lexington Parade, Kotara - Design of a footpath on the eastern side of Lexington Parade connecting the existing paving at the bus stop opposite Kotara High School to the Westfield car park.
- Mawson Street, Shortland - Investigation and design of a footpath on the southern side of the street, west of Sandgate Road.
- McCaffrey Drive, Rankin Park - Design of a footpath on the south side of McCaffrey Drive from number 235 McCaffrey Drive to Elbrook Drive, including kerb ramps.
- Ruskin Street, Beresfield - Design of a footpath on the west side of Ruskin Street between Percy Street and Newton Street.
- Traise Street, Waratah - Design of a footpath on Traise Street and Christo Road to connect to Lambton Road, with the investigation of a pedestrian connection to the corner of Griffith Road and Verulam Road.
- Wentworth Street, Wallsend - Design of footpaths on Wentworth Street, Tyrrell Street and Neilson Street, Wallsend near St Patrick School.
- Bridge Street, Waratah - Construction of a raised pedestrian crossing to replace existing children's crossing near Waratah Public School (completion subject to funding).
- Wallarah Road, New Lambton - Construction of a raised pedestrian crossing to replace existing children's crossing near Womboin Road (completion subject to funding).
- Wilkinson Avenue, Birmingham Gardens - Construction of a raised pedestrian crossing and footpath to Blue Gum Road (completion subject to f
Further detail on projects will be available on the Projects and Works page as they progress.