Summerhill Community Recycling Centre


Residents should not currently attend the Summerhill Community Recycling Centre as this is not deemed an essential reason to leave home under the Public Health Order. Please visit our Covid-19 lockdown update for the most up-to-date information regarding the operation of Summerhill Waste Management Centre.

Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) are permanent drop-off centres for common household problem wastes that can’t be placed in your kerbside waste and recycling collection bins. NSW householders can drop off problem wastes at these centres year round, free of charge.

The Summerhill CRC is located within the Summerhill Waste Management Centre, at Summerhill Road (off Minmi Road), Wallsend.

What can I take to the Summerhill CRC?

Newcastle householders can dispose of domestic quantities* of the following waste types, free of charge, at any CRC in the Hunter Region, including the Summerhill CRC:

  • Paint and paint-related products
  • Motor oils and cooking oils
  • Gas bottles
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Car and household batteries
  • Smoke detectors
  • Fluorescent light globes and tubes.

At the Summerhill CRC you can also dispose of printer cartridges and X-rays.

*As a guide, this is approximately 20 litres or 20 kilograms of each waste type. Please remember to store and transport your chemicals carefully.

Who can use the Summerhill CRC?

The Summerhill CRC can be used by any NSW resident, year round, free of charge. It is not restricted to Newcastle householders only.

Please note: CRCs are for households only. Businesses are not eligible to use Community Recycling Centres and should contact a waste disposal service directly or visit the BusinessRecycling website.

How much does it cost?

The Summerhill CRC is free of charge for all NSW residents to use. Please note the service is available to householders only; businesses are not eligible to use the service.

When is the Summerhill CRC open?

The Summerhill CRC is open during normal landfill operating hours. These are:

  • Monday to Friday: 7.30am to 5pm (last entry at 4.45pm)
  • Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays*: 9am to 3pm (last entry at 2.45pm). *Closed Good Friday and Christmas Day.

How much of each waste type can I bring in?

Only household quantities of each waste type will be accepted. As a guide, this is a maximum container of 20 litres or 20 kilograms of each waste type.

What if I have additional quantities or I’m a business customer?

Businesses are not eligible to use Community Recycling Centres and should contact a waste disposal service directly or visit the BusinessRecycling website.

Residents that have excess quantities should also contact a waste disposal service directly or visit the BusinessRecycling website.

Please note disposal fees will apply.

What if I have other household chemicals not accepted at the CRC?

You can take a wide range of household chemicals, such as household cleaners, pool chemicals and pesticides, to a Household Chemical CleanOut event.

Chemical CleanOut events are held at various locations, including Newcastle, on specified dates throughout the year to help you safely dispose of a range of household chemical products that are too complex or dangerous to be processed through CRCs.

Can I bring in problem wastes to the CRC using a bulk waste self-haul voucher?

Waste types accepted at the CRC can be brought in using a self-haul voucher, however, the normal limits will still apply i.e. 20L/20kg of each waste type. For example, you can’t use a self-haul voucher to bring in two cubic metres of paint.

As the CRC is free of charge to use, most residents will not wish to utilise their bulk waste entitlements to dispose of the accepted problem wastes. However, if you are bringing in a mixed waste load using a self-haul voucher and only have a few problem wastes to dispose of, we understand that you may wish to include these in your load and save yourself a separate trip.

How should I transport my waste types to the CRC?

You should handle and transport your items carefully. You can protect your vehicle by placing items on a protective sheet or tray in the boot to capture any leakages or breakages.

Summerhill’s standard on-site safety procedures must be followed at all times, including wearing enclosed (covered) footwear.

What happens to my waste items after they have been dropped off?

Please visit the EPA website for current information about what happens to items collected at CRCs.

What other CRCs can I use?

Unless otherwise specified, you do not have to be a local resident to use any of the CRCs located across NSW.

This means that Newcastle householders can also make use of the CRCs located in surrounding municipalities, including those at Awaba (Lake Macquarie), Cessnock, Maitland, Salamander Bay (Port Stephens) and Singleton.

The EPA maintains a list of all NSW Community Recycling Centre locations, by suburb, on its website.

Where can I find out more information?

For more information about CRCs, you can phone the EPA on 131 555 or visit the Community Recycling Centre website.