Newcastle has a spectacular coastline and we’re working on projects that will make sure it can be enjoyed now and into the future.
Our Coastal Revitalisation Program began in 2010 as part of a long term commitment to enhancing this natural resource.
One of the key projects is the Bathers Way, a 6km stairless coastal pathway that links Nobbys Beach in the north to Merewether in the south.
We're also working to:
- Improve access to the beach and coastal buildings
- Improve traffic and parking
- Manage cliff stabilisation
- Regenerate dunes
- Implement water-sensitive urban design initiatives to filter stormwater
- Deliver wayfinding signage and heritage interpretation.
There are projects in various stages of planning, design and construction, and community engagement is an important part of each one.
To stay up to date and get involved visit newcastle.nsw.gov.au/yoursay
Find out more about this Priority Project
These documents are guiding the development and delivery of this Priority Project:
- The Newcastle Coastal Revitalisation Strategy Masterplan report 2010 (PDF)
- The Merewether Beach Reserves Public Domain Plan 2010 (PDF)
- The Bathers Way Public Domain Plan 2012 (PDF)
- The Newcastle Coastal Plan of Management 2015 (PDF)
The Newcastle 2030 Community Strategic Plan reflects the community's vision for the city and is our guide for action.